Subject: bug#55022: error compiling emacs 28.1

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 20:04:18 +0200

robin hankin <[email-masked]> writes:

> /usr/bin/ld: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined reference to
> `hb_buffer_set_invisible_glyph'
> /usr/bin/ld: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: undefined reference to
> `hb_ot_metrics_get_position'

I found an Ubuntu 20.04 system here, and Emacs built fine by default.

I tried removing libharfbuzz-dev manually, and I then got this warning:

configure: WARNING: This configuration uses the Cairo graphics library,
    but not the HarfBuzz font shaping library (minimum version 0.9.42).
    We recommend the use of HarfBuzz when using Cairo, please install
    appropriate HarfBuzz development packages.

But Emacs still built fine.

So I think it sounds likely that your system is somewhat broken in one
way or another, and there's not much that can be done on the Emacs side
here, so I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no