Subject: Re: bug#55016: 28.1; xref-find-references finds no matches if project dir contains a space

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:48:00 +0300

> Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 05:08:56 +0300
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 24.04.2022 08:31, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> (Should this also use 'file-name-unquote'?)
> > I'm not sure I follow: where would we use that and for what purpose?
> 
> xref-matches-in-directory uses it since the discussion in bug#47799.
> 
> To... obtain a local directory name which would be understood by the 
> shell, I guess?

Ah, okay.  But, after the changes you posted, which file names may
need unquoting, and why?  The whole point of the changes is not to use
any file names literally in the command line passed to the shell.  And
our low-level primitives that invoke the shell already know to unquote
file names, so this should "just work", no?