Subject: Re: bug#55013: Guix-emacs doesn't work

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 11:50:51 +0200

Hello Ryan,

unfortunately guix-emacs never worked for me too, in the last couple of
years

Ryan Prior via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> To start Emacs, I ran:
>
>> guix shell -CNPE TERM --no-cwd emacs guix emacs-guix coreutils -- emacs -nw

I'm running Guix on Debian, using a dedicated profile for Emacs with
many packages installed, emacs-guix included; I'm not using
Spacemacs... but I cannot exclude some status in my ~/emacs.d is
interfering

This is my version:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

GNU Guix 1.3.0.6907-92fdd-dirty
Emacs-Guix 0.5.2

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

GNU Guix... "dirty" version?  I have to check, but it seems unrelated.

[...]

> Inside this Emacs, I again ran guix-packages-by-name​ and got a nearly identical error:
>
>> guix-geiser-eval: Error in evaluating guile expression: ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
>> Unbound variable: package-names*

Running the same command "guix-packages-by-name", I also get the
(almost) same error (from *Messages* buffer):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

Starting Guix REPL ... [5 times]
guix-geiser-eval: Error in evaluating guile expression: ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
error: package-names*: unbound variable

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
scheme@(emacs-guix) [1]> 

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> For completeness, I also tried a few other commands, like
> guix-installed-packages​

with "guix-installed-packages" I get this error:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

guix-geiser-eval: Error in evaluating guile expression: ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
error: package/output-sexps: unbound variable

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
scheme@(emacs-guix) [2]> 

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

[...]

Thanks! Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures