Subject: bug#55013: Guix-emacs doesn't work

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 18:06:58 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Giovanni,
>
> thank you for testing.
>
> Can you please confirm that this is reproducible even in “guix shell
> -C”?

It's reproducible but with a minor difference: I also get a buffer named
*Guix Internal REPL* (see below)

I'm not able to start a graphical emacs container, I get only a text
interface (but I guess it's the same for the scope of this bug report):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

guix shell --preserve='^DISPLAY$' --preserve="^TERM" --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' -C emacs-no-x-toolkit emacs-guix -- emacs -q

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

in *Messages* I get:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

Starting Guix REPL ... [5 times]
guix-geiser-eval: Error in evaluating guile expression: ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
Unbound variable: %max-returned-list-size

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
scheme@(emacs-guix) [1]>

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

but this time I get 2 REPL: one named "*Guix REPL*" with this prompt:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

scheme@(guile-user)> ,m (emacs-guix)
While executing meta-command:
no code for module (guix ui)
scheme@(guile-user)>

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and a second one named "*Guix Internal REPL*" (missing in my previous
tests) with this prompt:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

scheme@(guile-user)> ,m (emacs-guix)
scheme@(emacs-guix)>

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I missed to report that I also see a third *Geiser Messages* (also
present in my previous tests) buffer with this content:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

INFO: <3>: processed

INFO: REQUEST: <4>: (begin ((@ (system repl debug) terminal-width) 999) (quote ok))

INFO: RETORT: ((error (key . retort-syntax)) (output . "$8 = ok
scheme@(guile-user)> ") (debug))

INFO: <4>: processed

INFO: REQUEST: <5>: ,use (geiser emacs)
'done

INFO: RETORT: ((error (key . retort-syntax)) (output . "$9 = done
scheme@(guile-user)> ") (debug))

INFO: <5>: processed

INFO: REQUEST: <6>: ,geiser-eval (geiser evaluation) ge:set-warnings ((quote medium)) ()

INFO: RETORT: ((result "#<unspecified>") (output . ""))

INFO: <6>: processed

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thanks!  Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures