Subject: Re: Guix-emacs doesn't work

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:10:48 +0100

Hi,

Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]> writes:

> When starting guix-emacs with "M-x guix" and trying listing profiles or
> packages I always get this error:
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>
> Starting Guix REPL ... [2 times]
> geiser-repl--wait-for-prompt: No prompt found!
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Sorry the above message is misleading: I did not realize that I already
had a "Guix REPL" already open, I killed the REPL and this is the error
message I get when I start "M-x guix" and then try to gel my profiles
list:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

Starting Guix REPL ... [3 times]
guix-geiser-eval: Error in evaluating guile expression: ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
Unbound variable: %max-returned-list-size

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
scheme@(guile-user) [1]> 

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

(That's the same I get when I start emacs-guix in a guix shell)

This is the error I get in the "Guix REPL" buffer:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

GNU Guile 3.0.9
Copyright (C) 1995-2023 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)> ,m (emacs-guix)
While executing meta-command:
no code for module (guix ui)
scheme@(guile-user)> 

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

this is the backtrace

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

scheme@(guile-user)> ,bt
           2 (eval (#<procedure 7fae8f34be70 at <unknown port>:8:56 ()>) #<directory (guile-user) 7fae9151fc80>)
In current input:
     8:23  1 (_)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  1685:16  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
scheme@(guile-user) [1]> 

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

if I "manually" give the same command in the REPL buffer, I get no
error:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

scheme@(guile-user)> ,m (emacs-guix)
scheme@(emacs-guix) [1]> 

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

then I try again to list all my profiles via "M-x guix" (then select "P"
and "a") but I get the following message:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

guix-geiser-eval: Error in evaluating guile expression: ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
Unbound variable: user-profiles

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
scheme@(emacs-guix) [2]> 

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

But now the "Guix REPL" does not give any error, it's "stopped" at the
same prompt given above ("scheme@(emacs-guix) [1]>")

[...]

Thanks! Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures