Subject: Re: Guix-emacs doesn't work

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:32:35 +0100

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> this no longer seems to be a problem.  Can you please confirm that this
> issue can be closed now?

When starting guix-emacs with "M-x guix" and trying listing profiles or
packages I always get this error:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

Starting Guix REPL ... [2 times]
geiser-repl--wait-for-prompt: No prompt found!

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Some time ago (see this bug thread, 2022-04-21) I was able to apply this
workaround:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

  (with-eval-after-load 'guix-repl
      (setq guix-guile-program  '("guix" "repl")
	    guix-config-scheme-compiled-directory  nil
	    guix-repl-use-latest  nil
	    guix-repl-use-server  nil))

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

but now it's not working anymore.

If I start emacs in a shell with:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

 guix shell -n emacs-no-x-toolkit emacs-guix -- emacs -q

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and emacs-guix with "M-x guix", then try to list profiles or packages
but I get this error message:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

Starting Guix REPL ... [5 times]
guix-geiser-eval: Error in evaluating guile expression: ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
Unbound variable: %max-returned-list-size

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
scheme@(emacs-guix) [1]> 

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I'm still not able to run emacs-guix, how I can help debugging this?

Thanks! Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures