Subject: Re: bug#55013: Guix-emacs doesn't work

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:13:56 +0200

Hi Jan,

sorry for this late reply,

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> I'm on Guix System and emacs-guix's command line completion hasn't
> worked for me for about a year.

it does not work for me too, but with a very different behaviour:

[...]

>> Evaluating the above code /before/ starting any emacs-guix command (thus
>> before starting Guile REPL) all is working well now!
>
> This sort-of works for me, i.e., typing "guix TAB" in an emacs shell
> buffer no longer gives this error...but there also are no completions.

with the completion pattern "guix <TAB>" I get "guix --help" right in
the shell (and eshell) buffer but if I try any other pattern, e.g. "guix
pa<TAB>", I just get "No match" in the minibuffer (and no debug tracing
in the "*Guix REPL*" buffer)

I read (emacs-guix)Completions and it seems I do not need to configure
anything to have completion in shell and eshell when emacs-guix is
installed: do I miss something?  Actually I never configured
shell/eshell completion for any command, so I may be missing something.

Maybe the workaround I use to start guix REPL:

[...]

>> (with-eval-after-load 'guix-repl
>>     (setq guix-guile-program  '("guix" "repl")
>>           guix-config-scheme-compiled-directory  nil
>>           guix-repl-use-latest  nil
>>           guix-repl-use-server  nil))

is breaking completion?

> My ~/.emacs/init_bash.sh is empty and I seem to remember having
> something there?

I don't have that file.

Anyway, Jan, I think this bug is different from the one in the subject,
we should have a look upsteam (eventually linking here some ref) and
open a new upsteam bug report if needed: WDYT?

>
> Greetings,
> Janneke
>
> -- 
> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
> Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com
-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures