Subject: Re: bug#55013: Guix-emacs doesn't work

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 07:27:22 +0200

Giovanni Biscuolo writes:

Hi!

> I was able to solve.

Great!

> I repeat, I'm using emacs-guix on a foreing distro, I don't know if on
> Guix System this workaround is not needed.

I'm on Guix System and emacs-guix's command line completion hasn't
worked for me for about a year.  Starting an emacs shell and typing
"guix TAB", I got

    Starting Guix REPL ... [5 times]
    guix-geiser-eval: Error in evaluating guile expression: ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
    /home/janneke/.config/guix/current/share/guile/site/3.0/guix/scripts/deploy.scm:169:7: Unknown # object: "#~"

    Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
    scheme@(emacs-guix) [1]> 

> The most similar upstream bug is this one:
> https://gitlab.com/emacs-guix/emacs-guix/-/issues/23
>
> In that thread Adam Porter points to this comment that explains how to
> start Guix REPL instead of Guile REPL, from emacs-guix:
> https://gitlab.com/emacs-guix/emacs-guix/-/issues/19#note_559028370
>
> (with-eval-after-load 'guix-repl
>     (setq guix-guile-program  '("guix" "repl")
>           guix-config-scheme-compiled-directory  nil
>           guix-repl-use-latest  nil
>           guix-repl-use-server  nil))
>
> Evaluating the above code /before/ starting any emacs-guix command (thus
> before starting Guile REPL) all is working well now!

This sort-of works for me, i.e., typing "guix TAB" in an emacs shell
buffer no longer gives this error...but there also are no completions.

My ~/.emacs/init_bash.sh is empty and I seem to remember having
something there?

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com