Subject: Re: emacs-dash test failing,

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:58:26 +0200

Am Montag, dem 18.04.2022 um 06:23 -0500 schrieb Bryan Paronto:
> Hello Guixers
Hi Bryan

> I’ll prefacing by saying I’m still rather green to Guix System and
> Home, but am loving every minute of hacking, even when things dont
> immediate go according to plan.
> 
> This morning I’m attempting to use Guix for all of my Emacs package
> management needs, however one package, emacs-dash-2.19.1 seems to be
> failing to build. According to the logs, this is due to a long-than-
> 80-character doctring. According to their repository, this issue has
> been address, but a new release has not yet been cut containing the
> fix.
That's rather peculiar given that emacs-dash builds fine in CI as far
as I am aware.  I also have a build locally cached.

/gnu/store/63r1i2mpgivb2f99h2dscmrymcv9n257-emacs-dash-2.19.1

On which Guix commit are you currently?  Do you perhaps use a channel,
that provides its own definition of emacs-dash?

> What is the prescribed way of addressing such an issue, where emacs-
> dash is an input on one or more of the packages I’m attempting to
> install as part of my reconfigure.
The short fix would be to cut out emacs-dash from your config for now.
Use `guix graph' to find out what pulls it in.  The long fix would be
to find out what makes emacs-dash fail and repair that.

> I’ve run `guix pull' and `guix package -u' . I’m uncertain of
> creating a new package definition with tests disabled would be the
> solution, but I’ve yet to try.
You can use a transformation for that, it's called --without-tests. 
Using it does not guarantee a successful build, though.

Cheers