Subject: bug#54993: 28.1; Editing etc/NEWS on master with Emacs 28 signals an error

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:56:31 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It's probably failing for you because you need to do this in the
>> opposite order (and remove the "-mode"):
>>
>>   mode: outline; mode: emacs-news

Aha!  This works:

-*- mode: outline; mode: emacs-news -*-

But it doesn't work in the Local variables: section, which can only have
one mode/variable per line.

But!  Emacs only interprets the first mode: line it finds, so having

mode: outline
mode: emacs-news

and then extending Emacs on the trunk heed the final (defined) mode
would be both backwards and forwards compatible (as well as making this
an alternative to -*-, making things more regular), so I'll take a peek
at doing that.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no