Subject: Re: bug#54993: 28.1; Editing etc/NEWS on master with Emacs 28 signals an error

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:38:57 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think a new mode that is only available in the development version
> should not be forced on all the developers, because not all of them
> use the latest-and-the-greatest code all the time while working on
> Emacs.

Not using the trunk to edit files from the trunk sounds rather
error-prone.  Indentation rules etc has changed.

> Please make it possible to edit NEWS conveniently with older versions
> of Emacs.

You can still edit the file -- you just get an error message (which you
can ignore).

We could remove the mode cookie, of course, but then we'd have to put
etc/NEWS in auto-mode-alist, which would yield false positives for other
files with that name.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no