Subject: bug#54993: 28.1; Editing etc/NEWS on master with Emacs 28 signals an error

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:54:38 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> It is IMO unreasonable to expect everyone to use the latest
> development code.  What about people who sync with Git once a month,
> for example?

If they don't sync, they don't get the new NEWS file.  If they sync,
they can then build Emacs.

> Or what about editing the file on a system that doesn't even have the
> master branch built?

That seems rather theoretical.  We do expect people that work on Emacs
to use the Emacs they're working on.  We introduce new stuff all the
time.

> No, I get Fundamental mode -- which means no highlighting of headings,
> not auto-filling, not Flyspell, etc. -- all I have in Outline mode is
> suddenly gone.

What's your suggestion for how this should work, then?  etc/NEWS in
auto-mode-alist?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no