Subject: bug#54993: 28.1; Editing etc/NEWS on master with Emacs 28 signals an error

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 12:45:15 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Now the only issue that remains, AFAICT, is the different key bindings
> for outline-related commands in NEWES, caused by the fact that
> emacs-news-mode activates outline-minor-mode.  Could we perhaps solve
> this by having emacs-news-mode be derived from outline-mode, not from
> text-mode?  If not, why not?

I thought it would be more consistent to have both emacs-news-view-mode
and emacs-news-mode use outline-minor-mode, but I don't really have a
strong opinion here.  (We're moving all the "help"-ish buffers to use
outline-minor-mode, after all.)

But emacs-news-mode is for editing, so perhaps it makes sense to use
outline-mode here.  It does steal an awful lot of the `C-c C-*' keys,
though, so I'm not very enthusiastic about outline-mode in general and
think we should avoid it.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no