Subject: bug#54993: 28.1; Editing etc/NEWS on master with Emacs 28 signals an error

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:06:43 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:24:09 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > But!  Emacs only interprets the first mode: line it finds, so having
> >
> > mode: outline
> > mode: emacs-news
> >
> > and then extending Emacs on the trunk heed the final (defined) mode
> > would be both backwards and forwards compatible (as well as making this
> > an alternative to -*-, making things more regular), so I'll take a peek
> > at doing that.
> 
> I've now fixed this, and it seems to be both backwards and forwards
> compatible.

Thank you!

Now the only issue that remains, AFAICT, is the different key bindings
for outline-related commands in NEWES, caused by the fact that
emacs-news-mode activates outline-minor-mode.  Could we perhaps solve
this by having emacs-news-mode be derived from outline-mode, not from
text-mode?  If not, why not?