Subject: bug#54990: Byte compiler bug

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 09:49:58 +0000

Hello again, Mattias.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 19:33:41 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 17:43:46 +0200, Mattias Engdegård wrote:
> > 18 apr. 2022 kl. 12.48 skrev Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>:

[ .... ]

> > Why did this bug only affect `compile-defun`, not `byte-compile` or
> > `byte-compile-file`? The change is in code common to all three.

> Yes, I find that intriguing, too.  I'm meaning to try to find out why
> that was the case.  The first priority was to fix the bug.  The
> differences between the ways the compiler was called might hide further
> bugs, though.

This is now clear.  byte-compile is compiling a form, not source code,
so unless the form was read with symbol positions, it won't have them.
In byte-compile-file, symbol positions are stripped as the byte code
gets output to the file.elc.  So the symbol positions were not in the
..elc.

Only in compile-defun were there positions, and they "survived".

So I don't think there is a problem here.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).