Subject: Re: bug#54990: Byte compiler bug

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:33:41 +0000

Hello, Mattias.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 17:43:46 +0200, Mattias Engdegård wrote:
> 18 apr. 2022 kl. 12.48 skrev Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>:

> > I've committed a fix, which I'm pretty sure works, so I'm closing the bug
> > with this post.

> Very happy to see that you found a solution quickly!

> A few items of concern:

> 1. There should be a regression test for it -- don't you agree?

I suppose so.

> 2. Your solution comprises stripping position from symbols during the
> lowering of lapcode to bytecode.

Yes.  It preserves symbols' positions as long as possible.

> Why did this bug only affect `compile-defun`, not `byte-compile` or
> `byte-compile-file`? The change is in code common to all three.

Yes, I find that intriguing, too.  I'm meaning to try to find out why
that was the case.  The first priority was to fix the bug.  The
differences between the ways the compiler was called might hide further
bugs, though.

So, I haven't forgotten this.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).