Subject: Re: bug#54986: [PATCH] gnu: mpd: Add support for socket activation.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 18:09:58 +0200

Am Montag, dem 01.05.2023 um 11:53 -0400 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
> > > Like Ludovic, I'm wondering what duplicating the Shepherd
> > > endpoints API in Guix buys us?  [...]
> 
> Instead of replicating the Shepherd API in Guix, could we use the
> Shepherd API directly?  It's Scheme, and already depended on by Guix,
> so the question arises.
In theory, it'd be possible, albeit with some caveats:
1. Shepherd doesn't (didn't) have a full guix-style records API, which
might cause discrepancies in otherwise normal-looking Scheme code.
2. It'd probably make shepherd a compile-time dependency, which is
avoided in other places in the code, i.e. (gnu build shepherd)
3. Shepherd records are (to my knowledge) not print-readable, so we'd
have to move them through G-Expressions through some of our own code
anyway; how strongly that would replicate the API is up to
debate/speculation.

Cheers