Subject: Re: bug#54986: [PATCH] gnu: mpd: Add support for socket activation.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 22:56:50 +0200

Hi,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> skribis:

[...]

>> Do you mean that ‘herd stop mpd’ doesn’t stop the mpd process?
> Yep.
>> What does /var/log/messages say?
> I don't think there's anything meaningful there to inspect, I'm running
> this as a user service.  Shepherd's own logs are rather empty.

Then it’s in ~/.local/state (by default) or
~/.local/var/log/shepherd.log if you’re using Guix Home.

> Interestingly, the running value for the mpd service remains
> (("unknown" . "#<input-output: socket 17>")) even after MPD started. 
> Should that be the case?

No.

>> > and shepherd won't restart a killed MPD without asked to.
>> 
>> Weird.  What you describe sounds as if shepherd is not looking at the
>> right process or something.
>> 
>> If you have a service definition to reproduce this, I’d be happy to
>> take a look!
> The second is probably just me forgetting to set #:respawn? #t.  One
> "bug" down, one more to go.

:-)

Ludo’.