Subject: Re: bug#54986: [PATCH] gnu: mpd: Add support for socket activation.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:05:47 +0200

Hi,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm not sure if updating the service is a good idea.  On the upside,
> people who report mpd starting too early will be alleviated of one
> issue.  On the downside, it appears as though mpd too easily escapes
> shepherd's management.  My current observations are more or less
> consistent with what I saw with Emacs: killing the mpd service won't
> stop playing music,

Do you mean that ‘herd stop mpd’ doesn’t stop the mpd process?

What does /var/log/messages say?

> and shepherd won't restart a killed MPD without asked to.

Weird.  What you describe sounds as if shepherd is not looking at the
right process or something.

If you have a service definition to reproduce this, I’d be happy to take
a look!

Thanks,
Ludo’.