Subject: bug#54977: 29.0.50; Customising eshell-modules-list means you won't get new default entries

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 22:50:10 -0700

On 4/16/2022 10:03 PM, Sean Whitton wrote:
> On Sat 16 Apr 2022 at 10:01pm -07, Jim Porter wrote:
> 
>> Maybe it would be good to provide something like that for users of the
>> Customize interface as well? Then any defcustom that takes a list
>> could either be customized to have an exact set of elements (as it is
>> today), or to have "the default, but with FOO added and BAR removed".
> 
> That might be a good enhancement, but I think the Eshell case is a bit
> simpler -- using two defcustoms mostly solves it.

True, for this case it might be simpler to use two defcustoms, 
especially if it turns out that adding the necessary bits to the 
Customize interface proves difficult. I've never looked at the Customize 
internals, so I'm not sure how hard that would be (though I'm sure it's 
considerably harder than adding a defcustom to Eshell).

Still, enhancing Customize would also (probably) solve this issue for 
`erc-modules' and `org-modules', and I'm sure lots of third-party 
packages would benefit too.