Subject: Re: bug#54971: 28.1; input method chinese-ctlaub unable to enter �p

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 18:00:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Van Ly <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:20:31 +0200
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> What is that \265 octal escape?  You use it in the URL below as well:
>>
>> The mail from Van Ly used a very odd charset -- GB2312 -- so perhaps
>> rmail had difficulties with it?
>
> I don't think so: the encoding of the buffer was shown correctly, and
> the decoding uses the usual Emacs primitives.
>

I use the Pine mail reader and in it I use Gnu Emacs as an 
alternative editor.  The layering of pico, emacs editors in the 
construction of the email may explain why the charset is what it is. 
I would expect it to be utf8.

>> => https://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf/search.php?word=祊
>> Multi-function Chinese Character Database
>
> OK, but I don't understand what I see on that page.  And anyway, I
> think the conclusion is the same: we don't have that character in the
> file we use as the source for the chinese-ctlaub input method.

Some fields on the database are presented in English by clicking on 
"ENG" where you find it on the left navigation menu if your web 
browser frame is wide enough.

There is a "Suggestions" link at the bottom of the webpage

=> https://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf/feedback.php 
Suggestions

Perhaps the Admin. there is willing to collaborate with the GNU Emacs 
Project and provide the needed file to keep chinese-ctlaub current 
with their wider repertoire of characters.

-- 
vl