Subject: bug#54970: 28.1; Some emoji no longer display

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:27:41 +0200

Howard Melman <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm reading a lot about unicode and fontsets and trying to wrap
> my head around it.  I can't quite answer this yet, the font to display
> U+1F37D is Apple Color Emoji.  I get that emacs might not want
> to enable that font by default, but emacs does use it by default to show
> some emoji, though I don't see it listed when I do M-x describe-fontset.

I haven't been following this thread closely, but has somebody mentioned
that some characters have both a symbol and an emoji expression?  My
guess is that Apple, by default, displays characters like 🍽
"fork and knife with plate" using the emoji expression.  So it has a
font with a definition with the non-emoji expression which is just
blank.

Emacs, by default, uses the symbol expression for the character, unless
you tell Emacs to do something else.

Other characters have only an emoji expression, and then there's no
confusion.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no