Subject: bug#54970: 28.1; Some emoji no longer display

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 22:22:58 +0300

> From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:19:25 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked],
>  [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> 
> 
> > On Apr 16, 2022, at 2:26 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> >> That character is not in the Unicode Emoji sequences database.
> 
> It's not?  I don't know anything about emojis in Unicode other than
> it's more complicated than anyone would expect, but I see it in:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/admin/unidata/emoji-sequences.txt?h=emacs-28
> 
> 1F37D FE0F    ; Basic_Emoji                  ; fork and knife with plate                                      # E0.7   [1] (🍽️)
> 
> Or am I misunderstanding something?

Your recipe didn't mention the U+FE0F codepoint.  You only talked
about the lone U+1F37D.  When followed by U+FE0F, Emacs indeed ought
to display the sequence as Emoji, and that should not require you to
change the font used for the 'symbol' pseudo-script.  Are you saying
that isn't happening in your case?