Subject: Re: bug#54970: 28.1; Some emoji no longer display

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 15:12:49 -0400

> On Apr 23, 2022, at 1:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes, but the problematic cases is when the symbols/punctuation
> coverage of the default font and of the font set up for the Symbols
> and punctuation blocks overlap, and overlap significantly.
> 
>> Agreed, but the mac platform is confounded because you can't
>> mention or pre-configure the default font to be used in this case, 
>> which is fine.  So all I'm asking for is some documentation someplace
>> that would lead a mac user to the correct incantation or some description
>> of the possible limitations encountered.  In the absence of "easier, 
>> more self-explanatory, customization means and options" this seems
>> like the most reasonable stopgap.
> 
> We did that in NEWS, didn't we?

Well you just did it for script 'emoji and that didn't cover everything
for me.  Perhaps most of the issues were the sequences that didn't
include 0xFE0F and it would be great if there were a simple way to
define all of those in a fontset or if the emoji input stuff on master
was available for Emacs 28. There are some others, I think older
emoji that are problematic.  

I think also that Apple Color Emoji doesn't define glyphs for the
majority of "problematic" symbols so putting it in the fontset
for those codepoints isn't a problem and solves the missing
0xFE0F issue.

> I'd prefer to see whether this is a problem for enough users for us to
> do something else about it except answering questions.  If it turns
> out we do need that, my first thought would be to encourage people to
> use describe-fontset to see what they have, and take it from there.

I'll keep playing with it.  Maybe I'm the only emacs user on mac
that uses emoji.

Howard