Subject: bug#54969: "activate.scm.drv" Empty and Live

From: Zain Jabbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 15:20:21 -1000

Aloha Guix,

A number of errors have appeared on my system. Notably I have the following
issue with "sudo guix system reconfigure $CONFIG_FILE":
"guix system: error: error parsing derivation
`/gnu/store/8jqz1m1src0h4md70q09rlxppdy6d1jx-activate-service.scm.drv':
expected string `Derive(['"

I believe this is due to key files on my system (e.g.
"/gnu/store/...-activate.scm.drv" and
"/gnu/store/...-activate-service.scm.drv") have become both empty and live
on my system.

Here is the result of trying to repair using "guix gc"
"zjabbar@tao ~$ sudo guix gc --verify=contents,repair
reading the store...
checking path existence...
checking hashes...
path `/gnu/store/035mddyijs1xrp7z36fn1yvqd6asx4vq-provenance-builder' was
modified! expected h
ash `468eebad16e7842b982f046d0e846c5bc2672af01879cc43409f9534820eb815', got
`77ac62e2629d8e45f
624589c0c8bf99e24b3a722349bf1e79bc186008534e246'
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'...
100.0%
error: cannot repair path
`/gnu/store/035mddyijs1xrp7z36fn1yvqd6asx4vq-provenance-builder'
path `/gnu/store/0c9hqf02jksb06r3ywdz0alq1154kkq9-grub.cfg-builder' was
modified! expected hash
`04ed96b94726f1ffc7ce3fae556d5c057de1e0348da488a31694190787783b6a', got
`77ac62e2629d8e45f624589c0c8bf99e24b3a722349bf1e79bc186008534e246'
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'...
100.0%
error: cannot repair path
`/gnu/store/0c9hqf02jksb06r3ywdz0alq1154kkq9-grub.cfg-builder'
path
`/gnu/store/17q0ymk80965sm1vww4anwz96q57q229-shepherd-user-homes.scm.drv'
was modified! expected hash
`c69bf28c4c631368cbe1ad4d5d3dcc424f5a0d4a658cb964e796b2b92a6306fd', got
`77ac62e2629d8e45f624589c0c8bf99e24b3a722349bf1e79bc186008534e246'
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'...
100.0%
error: cannot repair path
`/gnu/store/17q0ymk80965sm1vww4anwz96q57q229-shepherd-user-homes.scm.drv'
path
`/gnu/store/1byrjg1w8mqmgla4257xc25lyh042bq2-xdg-desktop-database-builder'
was modified! expected hash
`77ed327cc6131e0a0cc6e207e679b09edc826a26a2bc4bf5c7f0f6e3f7bc6517', got
`77ac62e2629d8e45f624589c0c8bf99e24b3a722349bf1e79bc186008534e246'
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'...
100.0%
error: cannot repair path
`/gnu/store/1byrjg1w8mqmgla4257xc25lyh042bq2-xdg-desktop-database-builder'
path `/gnu/store/1mcdi0zvcmb184dg6459cpxg4hr1pz4h-glib-schemas.drv' was
modified! expected hash
`b9504e60e0576992ee0cb323ec15a71a0b6aeedcb47f22be5a16040063da0757', got
`77ac62e2629d8e45f624589c0c8bf99e24b3a722349bf1e79bc186008534e246'
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'...
100.0%
error: cannot repair path
`/gnu/store/1mcdi0zvcmb184dg6459cpxg4hr1pz4h-glib-schemas.drv'
path `/gnu/store/1wdm4khqlrx2yxb646jp9s7ia3f9p9w9-configuration.scm' was
modified! expected hash
`851294df3f63927f9da53b318e7cec9dedf0d7e149a57be38707ae3c2a819e80', got
`77ac62e2629d8e45f624589c0c8bf99e24b3a722349bf1e79bc186008534e246'
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'...
100.0%
error: cannot repair path
`/gnu/store/1wdm4khqlrx2yxb646jp9s7ia3f9p9w9-configuration.scm'"

It looks like a lot of files have the same hash and are empty. Is the only
way to fix this to reinstall Guix? Is it known why this could happen in the
first place?

-- 
Thank you,
Zain Jabbar