Subject: bug#54965: closed (Re: bug#54965: Installation on bare metal crashing; no matching patterns)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:07:02 +0000

Your bug report

#54965: Installation on bare metal crashing; no matching patterns

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
54965: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54965
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#54965: Installation on bare metal crashing; no matching patterns
From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
To: crodges <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 23:06:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

crodges schreef op za 16-04-2022 om 13:05 [-0700]:
> I think you're right. I wasn't using latest iso. I tried latest and
> now guix  is installed! But it's not over. The booting process stops
> when it can't find  firmware for iwlwifi (I don't care about wifi,
> this desktop has cabled internet)
> 
> I have a picture of this bug as well; I've attached it. Should I
> close this email/thread and send this bug in a new email, or it is
> fine?

I think I've heard of this on IRC some time ago.  Missing iwlwifi
firmware shouldn't block the boot, especially given that it's non-free
IIUC, though some linux or linux-libre update introduced a bug ...
This seems like material for a separate bug to me, if it isn't reported
already (I've closed this issue for you, though you can reopen it).

Also, please keep [email-masked] in CC, such that other people
know if this issue has been resolved, what the additional problems are,
etc.

Greetings,
Maxime.

Subject: Installation on bare metal crashing; no matching patterns
From: crodges <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:36:01 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I'm trying to install guix on a partition in my desktop, it's fairly
recent (ryzen 5900x with Radeon 6800x). I used graphical
installation with ext4, encrypted partition with mount point on /. I
have other linux as well as Windows in this machine, each on separate
partitions.

The encrypted partition is created, but after that the installation give
me the error "no matching patterns" in ice-9/boot-9.scm (1669:16)

I'll attach a picture of the backtrace.

Thanks.