Subject: Re: bug#54964: 28.1; mistatement in NEWS about read-extended-command-predicate

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:20:57 -0400

On Apr 16, 2022, at 9:55 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I think adding to the end something like: "from M-x (though
>> they are used by M-S-x which see below)". would clarify it.
> 
> There's no real way for us to clarify NEWS entries after the
> corresponding Emacs version was released, since we cannot
> retroactively modify released versions, and Emacs 28.2 will have its
> own section in NEWS, separate from Emacs 28.1.  And since this is
> about something that is not even explicitly stated in NEWS, but your
> inference from what is written there, I don't see an urgent need to
> try to find some way of clarifying it.  The downside, I presume, is
> that someone else could perhaps be led to the same erroneous
> conclusion as you were.  We'll have to live with that, I guess.

I mean you could clarify the 28.1 entry and then anyone that 
skipped 28.1 and went to a later version would benefit.  

This is obviously minor. I don't need the clarification, I reported it
to benefit anyone else that might.

Howard