Subject: bug#54964: 28.1; mistatement in NEWS about read-extended-command-predicate

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 16:16:07 -0400

The Emacs 28.1 NEWS item:

    ** New 'declare' forms to control completion of commands in 'M-x'.

ends with:

    Note that these forms will only have their effect if the
    'read-extended-command-predicate' user option is customized to call
    'command-completion-default-include-p' or a similar function.  The
    default value of 'read-extended-command-predicate' is nil, which means
    no commands that match what you have typed are excluded from being
    completion candidates.

But I think this isn't true because the new command
execute-extended-command-for-buffer bound to M-S-x by
default will filter the commands based on these declare forms.

Howard

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0, Carbon Version 164 AppKit 2022.6)
of 2022-04-09 built on Mac-1649520554451.local
Repository revision: ee79b048bbb2fd4a962dfb2204cc7a2f0d5237d8
Repository branch: 28.1-mac-9.0-CI
Windowing system distributor 'Apple Inc.', version 11.6.5
System Description:  macOS 11.6.5

Configured using:
'configure --with-mac
--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/opt/homebrew/share/emacs/site-lisp
--enable-mac-app=/Users/runner/work/homebrew-emacsmacport/homebrew-emacsmacport/build-scripts/emacs-source/tmproot
--prefix=/Users/runner/work/homebrew-emacsmacport/homebrew-emacsmacport/build-scripts/emacs-source/tmproot
--enable-mac-self-contained --with-modules'