Subject: Re: bug#54961: 28.1; info-display-manual completions issues

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:38:01 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:00:02 -0400
> 
> > Yes, in a function deceptively named Info-dir-remove-duplicates.
> 
> IIRC I'm the one to blame for that code, and my memory is fuzzy but
> I seem to remember that the case I wanted to fix was one where there
> were indeed several entries by the same name, which might explain why
> I ended up naming it that way, although in retrospect it probably wasn't
> the best choice ;-)

That function does remove duplicates.  The problem is that it also
rearranges entries of the same section to bring them together, and
that part is not reflected in its name at all.  And since the function
doesn't have a doc string, it's impossible to guess that it does this
second part, except by reading the code.