Subject: Re: bug#54961: 28.1; info-display-manual completions issues

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:43:06 -0400

On Apr 19, 2022, at 12:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> I have installed various emacs packages via package-install.  

>>   INFO-DIR-SECTION Emacs misc features
>>   START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
>>   * Embark: (embark).     Emacs Mini-Buffer Actions Rooted in Keymaps.
>>   END-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
> 
> I will ask again: are those manuals installed using the install-info
> command?  That is the command responsible for adding manuals to the
> DIR menus while paying attention to their sections.

I thought I answered by saying I used package-install.  I don't know what
it does (it doesn't seem to call install-info) but the above snippet is from
~/.emacs.d/elpa/embark-20220418.2042/embark.info

and that directory is prepended onto Info-directory-list and contains
a dir file that says:

Emacs misc features
* Embark: (embark).             Emacs Mini-Buffer Actions Rooted in Keymaps.

My Info-directory-list looks like this, with another dozen elpa dirs before
the Emacs.app one (which is the "self-contained i.e. relocatable NS build").

("/Users/hmelman/.emacs.d/elpa/embark-20220418.2042"
"/Applications/GnuEmacs.app/Contents/Resources/info/"
"/usr/local/share/info/"
"/usr/share/info/")

I guess info-insert-dir is supposed to collect these and it seems there's an
issue with it using the sections?  I still don't know if that's mac-specific
or not.

I had asked if it's a bug that I don't see sections like "Emacs misc features"
and you didn't answer.  I guess it is?  Do you (or anyone) see them on a 
non-mac system?

Howard