Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-nano-theme

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:03:11 +0200

Am Montag, dem 18.04.2022 um 13:52 +0000 schrieb Maya:
> > For the record, this space is for the commit message, which should
> > be an explanation if needed (not needed for the addition of a
> > package), and a ChangeLog.
> Oh I am sorry, I didn't know that.
No problem.  Now you do :)

> > You might want to simply write "Emacs theme defined by 7 faces"
> I agree. If it is fine that the package now will not agree with
> upstream.
Many upstreams don't have useful synopses or descriptions, so we often
have to adapt them.  In other words, it's no harm if you put more
effort into synopses and descriptions than merely copying them from
elsewhere, as long as formal requirements are met (e.g. the synopsis is
a short line, the description consists of full sentences, etc.)

> > I agree with Maxime.  Use "Nano Theme", "@code{nano-theme}" or
> > simply "This package provides a theme that comes in two flavours". 
> > I'm not sure whether we should add "consistent" -- it would suggest
> > that other themes are inconsistent, which sure some of them might
> > be but most don't strive to be.
> I wouldn't call it that ("consistent") myself and I do agree that it
> sounds a bit weird, if it is, again, fine, that it will not agree
> with upstream, I will change it.
As above, we usually strip all marketing words from upstream
descriptions.

> > Here too I would suggest @code{nano-theme} or this-theme.
> It sounds better. However does it matter that it now will not match
> guix package name but match the emacs package name?
That's fine imo.  IIUC nano-theme would be a feature that you can
(require), no?

> > "It is recommended to use a font with programming ligatures, such
> > as @code{font-google-roboto}".  On that note, does Roboto have
> > programming ligatures?
> It sadly does not. But Roboto Mono Nerd is not packaged for guix and
> I haven't checked the license on their assets yet. I believe that
> Roboto Mono is recommended as a aesthetic matching font.
Last time I checked, Nerd fonts were a special kind of mess that's
difficult to disentangle and more difficult to check licenses on.  I
wouldn't bother too hard.

Is the recommendation important in your opinion?

Cheers