Subject: bug#54950: Connecting to remote guix daemon with encrypted SSH key fails

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 16:30:28 -0400

Hi,

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have an SSH key encrypted with a passphrase. When I try connecting to
> a remote guix daemon with that encrypted SSH key, it fails with the
> following error message.
>
> $ GUIX_DAEMON_SOCKET=ssh://foo guix build -v3 hello
> guix build: error: SSH authentication failed for 'foo': Access
> denied for 'publickey'. Authentication that can continue: publickey
>
> I expected some kind of prompt asking me for the passphrase, but did not
> get any. The same command works if I set up ssh-agent and add the
> relevant key to it.

I suspect this is due to changes in OpenSSH *client* that now refuse
older RSA keys for security reasons.

Could you retry with the following option: 'StrictHostKeyChecking no'
applied to the host in your ~/.ssh/config?

If that's indeed the problem, you'll want to upgrade your key to
something more modern like ed25519.

I hope that helps,

Maxim