Subject: Re: bug#54949:

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:01:40 +0200

Robert Morelli <[email-masked]> writes:

> Reverting Emacs has been easy, but I don't know how to get back to
> AUCTeX 12.x. If you can suggest how I can do this, I would be
> grateful.

The recipe provided in the other response should work, it is also
described here[1].

> It is my opinion that Emacs development from this point forward should
> transition to legacy mode, with bug fixes and adaptations to OS
> upgrades, but with no further changes in behavior.

I suggest you take this comment to [email-masked] if you want to
discuss it seriously with the Emacs maintainers.

> New development should be diverted to using cross-editor technologies
> like language server protocol,

You can use LSP servers with Emacs through one of these clients:

 • https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot
 • https://github.com/emacs-lsp/lsp-mode

> Those few of us who are still using Emacs are not eager to invest time
> adapting to new and potentially problematic behaviors, especially
> since almost all of us are probably already transitioning to other
> editors.
>
> If I may suggest, I would be happy to have the functionality of AUCTeX
> available in alternative editors. I think this would be welcomed by a
> much larger group of potential users than Emacs will likely ever again
> have.

As always, this means that someone(™) has to do the job.  AUCTeX's
source code is available, if that someone wants to get an idea how it's
done in elisp.

I don't see we're discussing a bug, hence I'm closing this report.
Please feel free to re-open if a bug discussion will happen.

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ELPA#h5o-10