Subject: bug#54949:

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 21:44:04 +0900

Hi Robert,

>>>>> Robert Morelli <[email-masked]> writes:
> For the reasons I've already stated, I've decided my best course at
> this point is to revert to an earlier version of AUCTeX, (perhaps the
> last 12.x version?), and otherwise freeze all Emacs packages at their
> current versions, and revert Emacs to 27.x. Reverting Emacs has been
> easy, but I don't know how to get back to AUCTeX 12.x. If you can
> suggest how I can do this, I would be grateful.

I suppose the following prescreption would work:
1. Delete the current AUCTeX by M-x package-delete RET auctex-13.1.2 RET
2. Download one of the package files from
       https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/auctex.html
   and decompress it to obtain tar file.
3. Restart emacs session and specify the tar file as the argument for
   M-x package-install-file RET

Please let us know if it doesn't.

> If I may further comment, I do not agree with backwards incompatible
> changes in the behavior of Emacs or its packages. It is my opinion
> that Emacs development from this point forward should transition to
> legacy mode, with bug fixes and adaptations to OS upgrades, but with
> no further changes in behavior.

There is another LaTeX mode called YaTeX (Yet Another TeX mode for
Emacs) available from MELPA, documents of which are available at
https://www.yatex.org/ . I'd recommend to taste it because YaTeX tries
very hard to keep backward compatibility; for example, it still works
on emacs 19.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine