Subject: bug#54949:

From: Robert Morelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 00:24:34 -0600

Thank you for you prompt replies.

For the reasons I've already stated, I've decided my best course at this 
point is to revert to an earlier version of AUCTeX, (perhaps the last 
12.x version?), and otherwise freeze all Emacs packages at their current 
versions, and revert Emacs to 27.x. Reverting Emacs has been easy, but I 
don't know how to get back to AUCTeX 12.x. If you can suggest how I can 
do this, I would be grateful.

If I may further comment, I do not agree with backwards incompatible 
changes in the behavior of Emacs or its packages. It is my opinion that 
Emacs development from this point forward should transition to legacy 
mode, with bug fixes and adaptations to OS upgrades, but with no further 
changes in behavior. New development should be diverted to using 
cross-editor technologies like language server protocol, and widely used 
non-proprietary programming languages like Javascript.

Those few of us who are still using Emacs are not eager to invest time 
adapting to new and potentially problematic behaviors, especially since 
almost all of us are probably already transitioning to other editors.

If I may suggest, I would be happy to have the functionality of AUCTeX 
available in alternative editors. I think this would be welcomed by a 
much larger group of potential users than Emacs will likely ever again have.

-- 
Robert Morelli
Department of Mathematics
Salt Lake Community College