Subject: bug#54949: bug54949

From: Robert Morelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 15:18:07 -0600

For me, this seems problematic.

1. It is common to use matrix environments in mathematical writing 
inline, rather than displayed.

2. It is quite unexpected that indentation for an environment persists 
to the end of the file, even after the environment has ended. This seems 
to break the expectation that indentation reflects the compositional 
structure of a document.

3. Asking an end user to modify a variable like 
LaTeX-indent-environment-list puts an unwanted burden on the user. There 
are potentially many ways to remove an element from a list. One way is 
through the customization interface. Like many Emacs users, I avoid the 
customization interface because I find it awkward to us, and it creates 
two potentially conflicting sources of modifying Emacs behavior if you 
also use an init file.

4. If the variable is programmatically changed in the init file, it in 
turn raises the question of how to do so. There are potentially many 
ways. Some might be safer than others, or easier. What is being removed 
is itself a list, and there are a number of such elements.

5. If I modify the variable in my init file, I potentially lose future 
improvements to AUCTeX's indentation algorithms. To avoid that, I would 
have to recheck with each update of AUCTeX what new features are in the 
default. Remember, AUCTeX is one of more than 100 packages I have 
installed in Emacs.

6. Like most people, I'm very busy. I don't have time to create a mini 
project out of investigating how to modify a single variable in a single 
one of the 100+ packages I use in my text editor, which is one of dozens 
of programs I use on my computer, which is only a part of my life. In 
the big scheme of things, it would be foolish of me to spend more time 
on LaTeX-indent-environment-list, so the simplest solution for me is 
probably to regress AUCTeX, if I can do that easily.

-- 
Robert Morelli
Department of Mathematics
Salt Lake Community College