Subject: bug#54944: guix pull hangs on 32 bit

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 16:24:27 -0400

Hi!

raingloom <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's been at 67% on guix-packages-base for at least an hour now. The
> system itself is responsive and with the swap I gave it, it has more
> than enough memory. Htop shows three guile processes at the top of the
> list when sorted by CPU%, their states are S, D, D.
> Both CPUs are practically idling.
> This looks like some kind of lockup to me.
>
> Fresh install based on bare-bones example on a 32 bit netbook, but the
> install image used is the latest tagged version, since apparently there
> is no 32 bit option for edge.
>
> I also tried pulling using channel-with-substitutes, since I'm not too
> keen on locally building everything on such an old machine. Although
> Guix itself should frankly not take this long to build if we want to be
> competitive with other distros. Anyways, pulling with that in
> channels.scm gives a cert related error, so that's great, means old
> images can't easily be used for installation.

Have you been able to reproduce this?  If so, could you share the commit
you are starting from and the CPU architecture, so that we may hopefully
reproduce too?

Thanks,

Maxim