Subject: Can't run guix upgrade when a package is installed with the --with-git-url transformation

From: SeerLite <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:45:11 -0400

Hi!

I installed a package with --with-git-url and --with-branch to my profile:

     guix install kakoune 
--with-git-url=kakoune=https://github.com/mawww/kakoune.git 
--with-branch=kakoune=breaking-cleanups

However, now I can't run `guix upgrade`. I get the following error:

     guix upgrade: error: the source of [email-masked] is not a Git 
reference

I also tried to add the same transformation options to `guix upgrade`, 
but I got the same error.

Is installing packages with the --with-git-url transformation to 
profiles not supported? Or is this a bug?

Ideally I'd like `guix upgrade` to remember the way in which this 
package was installed and update it accordingly. In this case by 
fetching the latest changes from the breaking-cleanups branch. Is this 
not how this transformation option works?

Thanks :)