Subject: Re: bug#54941: No such file or directory when running a binary

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 16:47:32 +0200

Haider Mirza schreef op wo 20-04-2022 om 20:46 [+0100]:
> > (This is not to accuse you Haider, who I don't know, of probing
> Maxime
> > -- but consider the seemingly casual example you are setting for
> noobs
> > in suggesting running an unknown (to others) binary).
> 
> Sorry about that, usually Github Repositories ask for some way to
> reproduce a bug so they can try and debug it. I had expected him to
> have ran the binary in a VM. But like you said it might not be
> apparent to the less experienced. 

Where does the ‘him’ come from?  I don't think I've ever implied that
pronoun.

Also, while making a VM, installing some OS, downloading a binary
inside and running it inside, is definitely technically possible, I
consider it time better spent doing other things with a (to me) higher
value / cost (e.g. reviewing a package definition for ld50-silent-
syphoon, investigating actual bugs(*), some infrastructure patches
...).

(*) Only binaries made from within Guix can feasibly be supported by
Guix, though some separate entities aim to support this to some degree.

Greetings,
Maxime.