Subject: bug#54935: 28.1; vc-dir fails with "sort: Wrong type argument: sequencep, t"

From: Mike Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:35:54 +0100

New in Emacs 28.1, vc-dir fails on some of my directories with "sort: Wrong type argument: sequencep, t”:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument sequencep t)
  #f(compiled-function (d1 d2) #<bytecode -0xaf17ad190f8dc52>)((Git . "~/") (CVS . t))
  sort(((CVS . t)) #f(compiled-function (d1 d2) #<bytecode -0xaf17ad190f8dc52>))
  vc-responsible-backend("/Users/mike/")
  vc-dir("/Users/mike/" nil)
  funcall-interactively(vc-dir "/Users/mike/" nil)
  call-interactively(vc-dir nil nil)
  command-execute(vc-dir)

It’s going wrong trying to take the _length of t_ in the following code in vc-responsible-backend:

        ;; Just a single response (or none); use it.
        (if (< (length dirs) 2)
            (caar dirs)
          ;; Several roots; we seem to have one vc inside another's
          ;; directory.  Choose the most specific.
          (caar (sort dirs (lambda (d1 d2)
                             (< (length (cdr d2)) (length (cdr d1))))))))

This scenario was working fine in previous versions of Emacs, so looks like recent breakage.

Note that there is a workaround by providing C-u to vc-dir and then manually selecting Git, but clearly it would be better if the problem was fixed.

Thanks,
Mike

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G95))
 of 2022-04-04 built on builder10-14.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.3.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-bzr
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv ewoc vc cl-loaddefs cl-lib vc-dispatcher iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 64566 8597)
 (symbols 48 8001 1)
 (strings 32 23981 2059)
 (string-bytes 1 756454)
 (vectors 16 15847)
 (vector-slots 8 211662 14422)
 (floats 8 24 72)
 (intervals 56 248 0)
 (buffers 992 11))