Subject: bug#54928: closed (Re: Libtool 2.4.6 vs. 2.4.7)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:23:01 +0000

Your bug report

#54928: Libtool 2.4.6 vs. 2.4.7

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
54928: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54928
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: Libtool 2.4.6 vs. 2.4.7
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 14:22:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Am Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 02:07:02PM +0200 schrieb Andreas Enge:
> I had already removed it, and the problem persisted. I suppose that
> autoreconf or configure created it again in version 2.4.6, and during
> make my version 2.4.7 was used instead.

Actually it is "configure", in my case by calling config/ltmain.sh.
The solution is to remove config/ltmain.sh (actually I removed the
complete config/ subdirectory) and to call "autoreconf -fi" to
recreate it (which also overwrites INSTALL...).

So these are indeed stale files from autotools, somewhat difficult to
spot, since "make distclean" is not enough to remove them.

Anyway, this is not related to Guix, and I am closing the bug.

Andreas

Subject: Libtool 2.4.6 vs. 2.4.7
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:53:15 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

is there a good reason to have added libtool-2.4.7 without it replacing
the libtool variable (at version 2.4.6)? I have installed [email-masked]
into my profile, as well as a number of other development tools, and
apparently both libtool versions are now used and are colliding when doing
   autoreconf -vf && ./configure && make
in my project:

make[2]: Verzeichnis „/home/enge/Programme/paritwine/git/src“ wird betreten
/bin/sh ../libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.     -g -O2 -MT conversions.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/conversions.Tpo -c -o conversions.lo conversions.c
libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.4.6, but the
libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.4.7.
libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.4.6
libtool: and run autoconf again.

I can solve the problem by downgrading to [email-masked] in my profile, but
would argue that this defeats the purpose of adding the new variable at all.

Andreas