Subject: bug#54928: Libtool 2.4.6 vs. 2.4.7

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 14:07:02 +0200

Am Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 01:29:46PM +0200 schrieb Liliana Marie Prikler:
> libtool causes at least 13802 (mere two thirds of all our packages), so
> one might want to ensure that there are no gratuitous bumps when making
> new versions of it available :)

Quite understandable, but if then the new version is added, but unusable,
it can also not be tested.

> > I have installed [email-masked] into my profile
> That is a mistake.
> > as well as a number of other development tools
> Probably also a mistake.

Could you elaborate why? If you work on a project, it seems necessary
to install development tools (gcc-toolchain, autoconf, automake, make,
texinfo, ...).

> I think the problem is caused in the ../libtool symlink, which is
> probably not updated to reflect your installation.  This is a known
> issue with stale build files, which also happens if you garbage-collect
> stuff.  distclean or maintainerclean should solve your issue.  Or you
> might just as well delete the symlink manually :)

I had already removed it, and the problem persisted. I suppose that
autoreconf or configure created it again in version 2.4.6, and during
make my version 2.4.7 was used instead.

Andreas