Subject: [bug#54920] [PATCH] gnu: tcl: Add tcl-tls to packages.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 15:22:45 +0200

Hi,

Daniel Lowe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/packages/tcl.scm (tcl-tls): Added 1.7.22

Applied.  I followed up with cosmetic changes.

One question though:

> +   (search-paths
> +    (list (search-path-specification
> +           (variable "TCLLIBPATH")
> +           (separator " ")
> +           (files (list (string-append "lib/tcltls" version))))))

This declaration most likely belongs in ‘tcl’ itself:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Search-Paths.html

Most Tcl libraries that we have have that ‘search-paths’ declaration
though, and they would need to be fixed.

One problem is that they augment TCLLIBPATH not with a generic “lib/tcl”
(say) collection of directories, but instead with a package-specific
directory, like “lib/tcltls1.3”.

The solution would be to ensure that, instead, all these libraries
install their Tcl code in “lib/tcl” rather than “lib/PACKAGE”.

Since you’re into Tcl, would you like to give it a try? :-)

TIA,
Ludo’.