Subject: Re: [bug#54906] [PATCH] build: go-build-system: Add support for #:skip-build? #t.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:35:12 +0200

Attila Lendvai schreef op do 28-04-2022 om 10:56 [+0000]:
> in the current setup, i.e. without SKIP-BUILD?, if i want to import an
> app with 100+ dependencies, then i need to make sure that all those
> 100+ dependencies build fine by themselves. this is substantially more
> work.
> 
> if there is SKIP-BUILD?, then i can just set it to false in the
> importer for all the dependencies, and only flip it to true for the
> leaf packages that i'm actualy trying to build.

Except for long build times due to not reusing build results, I don't
follow: if dependency X doesn't build, doesn't that imply that
dependent Y won't build either?  Conversely, if dependent Y builds,
doesn't that imply that the dependents can also be built by
theirselves?

> it seems to me that i should just remove the SKIP-BUILD? assumption
> from the go importer for now, and file my commits against vanilla
> master.
> 
> i'll proceed with that.

To be clear, my comment was more about the wording (feature / work-
around / ...) than about the addition of #:skip-build?.

Greetings,
Maxime.