Subject: [bug#54906] [PATCH] build: go-build-system: Add support for #:skip-build? #t.

From: Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:56:20 +0000

> The new WIP antioxidant-build-system (intended to replace cargo-build-
> system) will not have #:skip-build?, because the new build system
> actually reuses the build results off the dependents.
>
> Likewise, maybe long-term someone will figure out how to do something
> similar for go -- e.g.,
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32919#5 mentions a ‘go
> build cache’.
>
> So it seems more of a work-around than a feature to me.

i lack here the necessary resolution from the bird's eye view
perspective, so let me describe the actual ache that i'm trying to
resolve with this:

currently, the GO-BUILD-SYSTEM does not reuse build artifacts of the
dependencies, only includes them as source.

in the current setup, i.e. without SKIP-BUILD?, if i want to import an
app with 100+ dependencies, then i need to make sure that all those
100+ dependencies build fine by themselves. this is substantially more
work.

if there is SKIP-BUILD?, then i can just set it to false in the
importer for all the dependencies, and only flip it to true for the
leaf packages that i'm actualy trying to build.

it seems to me that i should just remove the SKIP-BUILD? assumption
from the go importer for now, and file my commits against vanilla
master.

i'll proceed with that.

thanks for the feedback!

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
--
“People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.”
	— Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–1882)