Subject: Re: bug#54866: [PATCH] docker-compose, python-pyyaml

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 09:39:54 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 at 23:42, Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Well, this update is for core-updates (or maybe staging) and not for
>> master directly.

[...]

> Yes, that’s why I pushed wip-pyyaml and had ci.guix.gnu.org build it.
> On IRC I asked whether it could be merged after it had finished and I
> had fixed obvious problems.  Then I waited a few days, asked again, and
> eventually rebased, built it out again, and merged.

Cool for proposing such workflow.  I think it is better to update that
way instead of going via (always too) long core-updates cycles. :-)

> It’s hard to compare failures across branches with cuirass, and it is
> now obvious that I missed a few new failures.

It is what I manually did, well partially though – that’s why some
packages listed below were inaccurate.

Therefore, I am building all the packages returned by “guix refresh -l
python-pyyaml” for 2 Guix revisions.  And then we will have the complete
list of packages broken by the upgrade.

> Perhaps we can just change packages that want version 5 and relax their
> requirements.
>
>> Examining the failures, it looks like more than 66 packages are broken;
>> some below.
>>
>> Ricardo, I suggest to keep the symbol 'python-pyyaml' pointing to
>> version 5 and use 'python-pyyaml-next' for pointing to version 6.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I don’t think that’s a better idea than fixing what’s broken.

The list of broken packages is large, from my partial observation.  And
thus it will take some time to fix all – from one day to weeks.

That’s why I propose to revert and introduce python-pyyaml-next for the
ones requiring it because it maximizes the number of non-broken
packages.

Here you examined for 5 packages, the partial list was of 66!  and I
hope to get the complete list today.

Well, it takes time to fix package by package and let the current
situation is unsatisfactory, IMHO.

Deal with all that will take some time…

>> guix build: error: build of `aria-maestosa-1.4.13.drv' failed
>
> Aria Maestosa seems to have been abandoned.

…for removing the obsolete packages.

>> guix build: error: build of `awscli-1.21.11.drv' failed
>
> Fixed.

…for fixing.

>> guix build: error: build of `docker-compose-1.29.2.drv' failed
>
> The current version is 2.4.1.  1.29.2 is from May 2021.

…for updating.

>> guix build: error: build of `itk-snap-3.8.0.drv' failed
>
> There have been no successful builds since at least January 2022
> according to https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/617429/details

…for filtering some false-positive.

etc.

Cheers,
simon