Subject: [bug#54866] [PATCH] docker-compose, python-pyyaml

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 23:42:14 +0200

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> On mar., 12 avril 2022 at 00:28, [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> I noticed that after my last pull to 6413d0898b92, docker-compose did
>> not build anymore. The backtrace showed that it fails in the sanity-
>> check-phase due to the requirement python-pyyaml <6.
>
> Thanks for the report.  Indeed, commit
> 27720d0fe14ee4cd413a6745e0782a698a011924 updates python-pyyaml from 5 to
> 6 and thus breaks docker-compose.
>
> Well, this update is for core-updates (or maybe staging) and not for
> master directly.
>
> $ guix refresh -l python-pyyaml | cut -f1 -d':'
> Building the following 1453 packages would ensure 2671 dependent packages are rebuilt

Yes, that’s why I pushed wip-pyyaml and had ci.guix.gnu.org build it.
On IRC I asked whether it could be merged after it had finished and I
had fixed obvious problems.  Then I waited a few days, asked again, and
eventually rebased, built it out again, and merged.

It’s hard to compare failures across branches with cuirass, and it is
now obvious that I missed a few new failures.

I really don’t think that upgrading something as lowly as pyyaml
deserves to be put on core-updates along with all the world-breaking
upgrades.  pyyaml 6 came out in Oct 2021, and the changelog compared to
the last 5.x release is *very* short:

  https://github.com/yaml/pyyaml/blob/master/CHANGES#L7

Perhaps we can just change packages that want version 5 and relax their
requirements.

> Examining the failures, it looks like more than 66 packages are broken;
> some below.
>
> Ricardo, I suggest to keep the symbol 'python-pyyaml' pointing to
> version 5 and use 'python-pyyaml-next' for pointing to version 6.
>
> WDYT?

I don’t think that’s a better idea than fixing what’s broken.  

> guix build: error: build of `aria-maestosa-1.4.13.drv' failed

Aria Maestosa seems to have been abandoned.

> guix build: error: build of `awscli-1.21.11.drv' failed

Fixed.

> guix build: error: build of `docker-compose-1.29.2.drv' failed

The current version is 2.4.1.  1.29.2 is from May 2021.

> guix build: error: build of `itk-snap-3.8.0.drv' failed

There have been no successful builds since at least January 2022
according to https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/617429/details

> guix build: error: build of `knights-025.drv' failed

There have been no successful builds sinc at least Dec 2021 according to
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/618536/details

-- 
Ricardo