Subject: bug#54833: system reconfigure fails: error: live-service-transient: unbound variable

From: Paul Alesius <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 05:12:43 +0200

The latest commits seem to have changed something and now I am unable
to reconfigure the system. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank
you.

------------------ start log
noname@devbox ~$ sudo -E guix system reconfigure .config/guix/devbox/system.scm
Password:
WARNING: (#{ g661}#): imported module (gnu services) overrides core
binding `delete'
The following derivation will be built:
  /gnu/store/w8yg9sf5avdp0f64hridv2rbxg9k0pma-grub.cfg.drv

building /gnu/store/w8yg9sf5avdp0f64hridv2rbxg9k0pma-grub.cfg.drv...
/gnu/store/4dccnjk6qmzvzswg88n0rf9px55qpzd5-system
/gnu/store/vn5qbs8fl5b9aaxd3lprxsllr243cz6a-grub.cfg

activating system...
making '/gnu/store/4dccnjk6qmzvzswg88n0rf9px55qpzd5-system' the
current system...
setting up setuid programs in '/run/setuid-programs'...
populating /etc from /gnu/store/idqgxsdl0ag35hnd2hc248nxj7kzzjn3-etc...
The following derivation will be built:
  /gnu/store/pvdc47f8j24b19s9lrfff6sv7k4wb8yw-install-bootloader.scm.drv

building /gnu/store/pvdc47f8j24b19s9lrfff6sv7k4wb8yw-install-bootloader.scm.drv...
guix system: bootloader successfully installed on '(/boot)'
shepherd: Evaluating user expression (and (defined? (quote
transient?)) (map (# ?) ?)).
Backtrace:
In guix/store.scm:
   1320:8 19 (call-with-build-handler _ _)
   1320:8 18 (call-with-build-handler _ _)
   1320:8 17 (call-with-build-handler #<procedure 7f4a45e2b600 at g…> …)
  2129:25 16 (run-with-store #<store-connection 256.99 7f4a47437dc0> …)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  1747:15 15 (with-exception-handler #<procedure 7f4a42ded450 at ic…> …)
In ice-9/exceptions.scm:
   406:15 14 (_)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  1752:10 13 (with-exception-handler _ _ #:unwind? _ # _)
In guix/scripts/system.scm:
   870:15 12 (_)
In guix/store.scm:
  2129:25 11 (run-with-store #<store-connection 256.99 7f4a45785280> …)
In guix/scripts/system.scm:
   870:15 10 (_ _)
In guix/scripts/system/reconfigure.scm:
    145:2  9 (_ _)
In guix/scripts/system.scm:
   768:14  8 (_ _)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   222:17  7 (map1 (#<<live-service> provision: (file-system-/sys…> …))
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   173:55  6 (_ #(#(#<directory (guile-user) 7f4a5d1a0c80>) #<<liv…>))
   182:19  5 (proc #(#(#<directory (guile-user) 7f4a5d1a0c80>) #<<…>))
   142:16  4 (compile-top-call #<directory (guile-user) 7f4a5d1a0c80> …)
In unknown file:
           3 (%resolve-variable (7 . live-service-transient) #<direc…>)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  1685:16  2 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
  1683:16  1 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
  1685:16  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)

ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
error: live-service-transient: unbound variable
------------------ end log

Trying to downgrade guix also fails for me:

------------------ start log
noname@devbox ~$ guix pull
--commit=a2c759c8304c461d096ab763568e7f71546ff4e8 --allow-downgrades
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
guix pull: warning: rolling back channel 'guix' from
ec6a585ee2fd91c857276479411eedd0756e0093 to
a2c759c8304c461d096ab763568e7f71546ff4e8
Updating channel 'nonguix' from Git repository at
'https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix'...
Updating channel 'flat' from Git repository at
'https://github.com/flatwhatson/guix-channel.git'...
Updating channel 'unnsvc' from Git repository at
'https://github.com/paulalesius/guix-channel'...
Building from these channels:
  unnsvc    https://github.com/paulalesius/guix-channel a537c33
  flat      https://github.com/flatwhatson/guix-channel.git     81bd9f0
  nonguix   https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix  1ed9725
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   a2c759c
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |
The following derivations will be built:
  /gnu/store/grn1kqxqdh20hql31fvpyjk15pyaaazh-profile.drv
  /gnu/store/10cxax95aicbk3z99ypp8zq716scprds-flat.drv
  /gnu/store/3zjzklpbgvld3n28ggszsv5pn3xw92ym-guix-a2c759c83.drv
  /gnu/store/5jaah717crv6hp6d6y8yfp34pnv4pq4z-guix-daemon.drv
  /gnu/store/bdf2xfc1sqrcynryldg6vvjxyacxg44w-guix-command.drv
  /gnu/store/6rl5plpnjdimzm0yr6fyi2bppbziv6sj-guix-module-union.drv
  /gnu/store/i5mqv501hqfijdg0wfvfgjp844wcgsbx-guix-a2c759c83-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/1vnm0k6bwc65pzc5z65awk9dsfrdr0py-guix-system-tests-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/pv0ylz4nmryl41bxd7x914b7l5afrbzv-guix-system-tests.drv
  /gnu/store/k8mnrvgi80xgdv692x41a3nxdckd7pcg-guix-cli.drv
  /gnu/store/nnkckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv
  /gnu/store/yiwl413d15g6n5phqk2kg4alkzsx8x1f-guix-home.drv
  /gnu/store/80bqgaiq5nca5b150xn4skbw1igfpq9a-guix-home-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/bb3bmmkq21xrm7c46zmb0iamplpqy5w8-guix-system-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/nlqdc6h25invrq02d6rp34wnjv37abr0-guix-cli-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/pk556x6jd84d64s6s57g8gmzvncfskql-guix-config-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/rf0si3432vzpjiaxk6gg8bbbq52zsj19-guix-config.drv
  /gnu/store/2sbb64lpb3qpl03hybn70hhx82x2afz3-nonguix.drv
  /gnu/store/l1ij7wja3f7zl1b320zjjwfj5y9xapjv-unnsvc.drv
  /gnu/store/wbgiyd6c8bh4gp0s4n41x8423a4p3fmi-inferior-script.scm.drv
  /gnu/store/60wmwqcplwqjw2qzk15hz6wyy9gpfx15-module-import-compiled.drv
  /gnu/store/1m905231f0wmrl6hyz50za33q21hk3ix-profile.drv
  /gnu/store/495pawm0pr0c8figwc7v4qa9m33sfjd0-inferior-script.scm.drv

building /gnu/store/rf0si3432vzpjiaxk6gg8bbbq52zsj19-guix-config.drv...
building /gnu/store/nnkckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv...
 48% [#############################################################

]builder for `/gnu/store/nnkckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv'
failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/nnkckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv failed
View build log at
'/var/log/guix/drvs/nn/kckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv.gz'.
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/k8mnrvgi80xgdv692x41a3nxdckd7pcg-guix-cli.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
building /gnu/store/pk556x6jd84d64s6s57g8gmzvncfskql-guix-config-modules.drv...
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/yiwl413d15g6n5phqk2kg4alkzsx8x1f-guix-home.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/bb3bmmkq21xrm7c46zmb0iamplpqy5w8-guix-system-modules.drv':
1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/pv0ylz4nmryl41bxd7x914b7l5afrbzv-guix-system-tests.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/i5mqv501hqfijdg0wfvfgjp844wcgsbx-guix-a2c759c83-modules.drv':
1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/3zjzklpbgvld3n28ggszsv5pn3xw92ym-guix-a2c759c83.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/grn1kqxqdh20hql31fvpyjk15pyaaazh-profile.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build of
`/gnu/store/grn1kqxqdh20hql31fvpyjk15pyaaazh-profile.drv' failed
------------------ end log

------------------ start log
noname@devbox ~$ zcat
/var/log/guix/drvs/nn/kckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv.gz
[ 93/194] loading...     95.9% of 97 filesice-9/psyntax.scm:2813:12:
In procedure syntax-violation:
Syntax error:
guix/scripts/system/reconfigure.scm:147:20: live-service: Wrong number
of arguments in form (live-service provision requirement running)
------------------ end log

With regards,
- Paul