Subject: bug#54833: closed (Re: bug#54840: guix system reconfigure results in 'error: live-service-transient: unbound variable')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 20:45:02 +0000

Your bug report

#54833: system reconfigure fails: error: live-service-transient: unbound variable

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
54833: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54833
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#54840: guix system reconfigure results in 'error: live-service-transient: unbound variable'
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Alesius <[email-masked]>, Marek Paśnikowski<[email-masked]>, Roman Riabenko <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:44:01 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Paul Alesius <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The latest commits seem to have changed something and now I am unable
> to reconfigure the system. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank
> you.
>
> ------------------ start log
> noname@devbox ~$ sudo -E guix system reconfigure .config/guix/devbox/system.scm

[...]

> In guix/scripts/system/reconfigure.scm:
>     145:2  9 (_ _)
> In guix/scripts/system.scm:
>    768:14  8 (_ _)
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>    222:17  7 (map1 (#<<live-service> provision: (file-system-/sys…> …))
> In ice-9/eval.scm:
>    173:55  6 (_ #(#(#<directory (guile-user) 7f4a5d1a0c80>) #<<liv…>))
>    182:19  5 (proc #(#(#<directory (guile-user) 7f4a5d1a0c80>) #<<…>))
>    142:16  4 (compile-top-call #<directory (guile-user) 7f4a5d1a0c80> …)
> In unknown file:
>            3 (%resolve-variable (7 . live-service-transient) #<direc…>)
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>   1685:16  2 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
>   1683:16  1 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
>   1685:16  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
>
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
> error: live-service-transient: unbound variable

This was fixed earlier today in
7da907f90e74a4edf96d76ee457ff958265ef8d4.  My bad!

The effect was that services were not upgraded live after ‘reconfigure’,
but the new generation was properly installed (you can see it in
‘guix system list-generations’ and in the GRUB menu when you reboot).

Thanks for reporting it!

Ludo’.

Subject: system reconfigure fails: error: live-service-transient: unbound variable
From: Paul Alesius <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 05:12:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The latest commits seem to have changed something and now I am unable
to reconfigure the system. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank
you.

------------------ start log
noname@devbox ~$ sudo -E guix system reconfigure .config/guix/devbox/system.scm
Password:
WARNING: (#{ g661}#): imported module (gnu services) overrides core
binding `delete'
The following derivation will be built:
  /gnu/store/w8yg9sf5avdp0f64hridv2rbxg9k0pma-grub.cfg.drv

building /gnu/store/w8yg9sf5avdp0f64hridv2rbxg9k0pma-grub.cfg.drv...
/gnu/store/4dccnjk6qmzvzswg88n0rf9px55qpzd5-system
/gnu/store/vn5qbs8fl5b9aaxd3lprxsllr243cz6a-grub.cfg

activating system...
making '/gnu/store/4dccnjk6qmzvzswg88n0rf9px55qpzd5-system' the
current system...
setting up setuid programs in '/run/setuid-programs'...
populating /etc from /gnu/store/idqgxsdl0ag35hnd2hc248nxj7kzzjn3-etc...
The following derivation will be built:
  /gnu/store/pvdc47f8j24b19s9lrfff6sv7k4wb8yw-install-bootloader.scm.drv

building /gnu/store/pvdc47f8j24b19s9lrfff6sv7k4wb8yw-install-bootloader.scm.drv...
guix system: bootloader successfully installed on '(/boot)'
shepherd: Evaluating user expression (and (defined? (quote
transient?)) (map (# ?) ?)).
Backtrace:
In guix/store.scm:
   1320:8 19 (call-with-build-handler _ _)
   1320:8 18 (call-with-build-handler _ _)
   1320:8 17 (call-with-build-handler #<procedure 7f4a45e2b600 at g…> …)
  2129:25 16 (run-with-store #<store-connection 256.99 7f4a47437dc0> …)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  1747:15 15 (with-exception-handler #<procedure 7f4a42ded450 at ic…> …)
In ice-9/exceptions.scm:
   406:15 14 (_)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  1752:10 13 (with-exception-handler _ _ #:unwind? _ # _)
In guix/scripts/system.scm:
   870:15 12 (_)
In guix/store.scm:
  2129:25 11 (run-with-store #<store-connection 256.99 7f4a45785280> …)
In guix/scripts/system.scm:
   870:15 10 (_ _)
In guix/scripts/system/reconfigure.scm:
    145:2  9 (_ _)
In guix/scripts/system.scm:
   768:14  8 (_ _)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   222:17  7 (map1 (#<<live-service> provision: (file-system-/sys…> …))
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   173:55  6 (_ #(#(#<directory (guile-user) 7f4a5d1a0c80>) #<<liv…>))
   182:19  5 (proc #(#(#<directory (guile-user) 7f4a5d1a0c80>) #<<…>))
   142:16  4 (compile-top-call #<directory (guile-user) 7f4a5d1a0c80> …)
In unknown file:
           3 (%resolve-variable (7 . live-service-transient) #<direc…>)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  1685:16  2 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
  1683:16  1 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
  1685:16  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)

ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
error: live-service-transient: unbound variable
------------------ end log

Trying to downgrade guix also fails for me:

------------------ start log
noname@devbox ~$ guix pull
--commit=a2c759c8304c461d096ab763568e7f71546ff4e8 --allow-downgrades
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
guix pull: warning: rolling back channel 'guix' from
ec6a585ee2fd91c857276479411eedd0756e0093 to
a2c759c8304c461d096ab763568e7f71546ff4e8
Updating channel 'nonguix' from Git repository at
'https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix'...
Updating channel 'flat' from Git repository at
'https://github.com/flatwhatson/guix-channel.git'...
Updating channel 'unnsvc' from Git repository at
'https://github.com/paulalesius/guix-channel'...
Building from these channels:
  unnsvc    https://github.com/paulalesius/guix-channel a537c33
  flat      https://github.com/flatwhatson/guix-channel.git     81bd9f0
  nonguix   https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix  1ed9725
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   a2c759c
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |
The following derivations will be built:
  /gnu/store/grn1kqxqdh20hql31fvpyjk15pyaaazh-profile.drv
  /gnu/store/10cxax95aicbk3z99ypp8zq716scprds-flat.drv
  /gnu/store/3zjzklpbgvld3n28ggszsv5pn3xw92ym-guix-a2c759c83.drv
  /gnu/store/5jaah717crv6hp6d6y8yfp34pnv4pq4z-guix-daemon.drv
  /gnu/store/bdf2xfc1sqrcynryldg6vvjxyacxg44w-guix-command.drv
  /gnu/store/6rl5plpnjdimzm0yr6fyi2bppbziv6sj-guix-module-union.drv
  /gnu/store/i5mqv501hqfijdg0wfvfgjp844wcgsbx-guix-a2c759c83-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/1vnm0k6bwc65pzc5z65awk9dsfrdr0py-guix-system-tests-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/pv0ylz4nmryl41bxd7x914b7l5afrbzv-guix-system-tests.drv
  /gnu/store/k8mnrvgi80xgdv692x41a3nxdckd7pcg-guix-cli.drv
  /gnu/store/nnkckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv
  /gnu/store/yiwl413d15g6n5phqk2kg4alkzsx8x1f-guix-home.drv
  /gnu/store/80bqgaiq5nca5b150xn4skbw1igfpq9a-guix-home-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/bb3bmmkq21xrm7c46zmb0iamplpqy5w8-guix-system-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/nlqdc6h25invrq02d6rp34wnjv37abr0-guix-cli-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/pk556x6jd84d64s6s57g8gmzvncfskql-guix-config-modules.drv
  /gnu/store/rf0si3432vzpjiaxk6gg8bbbq52zsj19-guix-config.drv
  /gnu/store/2sbb64lpb3qpl03hybn70hhx82x2afz3-nonguix.drv
  /gnu/store/l1ij7wja3f7zl1b320zjjwfj5y9xapjv-unnsvc.drv
  /gnu/store/wbgiyd6c8bh4gp0s4n41x8423a4p3fmi-inferior-script.scm.drv
  /gnu/store/60wmwqcplwqjw2qzk15hz6wyy9gpfx15-module-import-compiled.drv
  /gnu/store/1m905231f0wmrl6hyz50za33q21hk3ix-profile.drv
  /gnu/store/495pawm0pr0c8figwc7v4qa9m33sfjd0-inferior-script.scm.drv

building /gnu/store/rf0si3432vzpjiaxk6gg8bbbq52zsj19-guix-config.drv...
building /gnu/store/nnkckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv...
 48% [#############################################################

]builder for `/gnu/store/nnkckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv'
failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/nnkckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv failed
View build log at
'/var/log/guix/drvs/nn/kckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv.gz'.
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/k8mnrvgi80xgdv692x41a3nxdckd7pcg-guix-cli.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
building /gnu/store/pk556x6jd84d64s6s57g8gmzvncfskql-guix-config-modules.drv...
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/yiwl413d15g6n5phqk2kg4alkzsx8x1f-guix-home.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/bb3bmmkq21xrm7c46zmb0iamplpqy5w8-guix-system-modules.drv':
1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/pv0ylz4nmryl41bxd7x914b7l5afrbzv-guix-system-tests.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/i5mqv501hqfijdg0wfvfgjp844wcgsbx-guix-a2c759c83-modules.drv':
1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/3zjzklpbgvld3n28ggszsv5pn3xw92ym-guix-a2c759c83.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/grn1kqxqdh20hql31fvpyjk15pyaaazh-profile.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build of
`/gnu/store/grn1kqxqdh20hql31fvpyjk15pyaaazh-profile.drv' failed
------------------ end log

------------------ start log
noname@devbox ~$ zcat
/var/log/guix/drvs/nn/kckwm63pd6wxkbmpaakmpdwhkkvf8f-guix-system.drv.gz
[ 93/194] loading...     95.9% of 97 filesice-9/psyntax.scm:2813:12:
In procedure syntax-violation:
Syntax error:
guix/scripts/system/reconfigure.scm:147:20: live-service: Wrong number
of arguments in form (live-service provision requirement running)
------------------ end log

With regards,
- Paul