Subject: bug#54810: 27.2; emacs crashes randomly on Mac with Bug Sur 11.5.2

From: Joe Halpern <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 06:38:31 -0400

Thanks for the fast response.  I've downloaded emacs 28.1, and am having 
trouble installing it.  What I've done so far is move it to the 
applications folder, but when I click on the emacs icon that I have on 
my desktop, I get the message "This application will not run on your 
computer".  When I click on emacs in finder (the new version, dated 
4/4/22), I get the same message.  But when I got to the terminals
and type "emacs filename", it will open emacs for me.  So obviously 
someething is working right.  I've tried looking things up on the web, 
but the responses seem to presume more knowledge than I have. Would it 
be possible to walk me through what to do?

Thanks,
Jope

On 4/9/22 2:13 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:51:11 -0400
>> From: Joe Halpern <[email-masked]>
>>
>>
>>
>> The bug seems completely random. I can't figure out what is causing
>> emacs to crash. Moreover, it happens relatively frequently (2-3
>> times/week, sometimes even more often -- I use emacs for hours/day).
>> One interesting observation: I was streaming music today, which stopped
>> at the same time
>> that emacs crashed.  (No other app seems to have stopped riunning.)
> Thank you for your report.
>
> First, please try Emacs 28.1 if you can.  Emacs 27 is no longer being
> developed.
>
> And second, to be able to do something useful with this information,
> we need a backtrace from the crash, preferably in GDB or some other
> similar debugger.  The backtrace will show us where is the code which
> crashes, and perhaps give us ideas why that happens and how to fix
> that.  Without this information, we have no lead to investigate.